Our country is going through a devastation of unrest, violence, and brokenness as families and individuals grapple with the racial injustice and inequality with people of color. This is a crucial time for parents to get educated about racial division and talk to children about race and the importance of equality and treating everyone with love and care.
It is all of our responsibility to educate both ourselves and children on race and teach children how to love their peers well and be part of the solution of bridging the racial divide.
Below are some resources for how to begin conversations with children surrounding race and supporting children during this time.
We hope these resources will be helpful to you!
ALLIANCE FOR CHILD WELFARE TRAINING: Talking to Children about Race
TV: Coming Together: Standing up to Racism
June 6th– 10:00 am CNN/Sesame Street Town Hall for Kids and Families
- “I [STILL] Can’t Breathe”: Supporting Kids of Color Amid Racialized Violence – June 5th –5:30 pm/PT
- Addressing Racial Injustice with Young Children– Recorded Webinar
- How Kids Learn About Race – Recorded Webinar
- All the Colors We Are by Katie Kissinger
- The Color of Us by Karen Katz
- ColorFull by Ms. Dorena Williamson
- God Made Me and You by Shai Linne
- God’s Very Good Idea by Trillia Newbell
- Same, Same but Different by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw
- The Skin You Live In by Michael Tyler
- We’re Different, We’re the Same by Bobbi Kates
- How to Talk to Your Kids about Racial Differences (Focus on the Family)
- Talking to Kids about Race (National Geographic)
- 10 Tips for Teaching Kids and Talking to Kids About Race (Embrace Race Website)
PRACTICAL TOOLS FOR TALKING ABOUT RACE WITH CHILDREN:
ADOPT WELL PODCAST: Transracial Adoption & Multiethnic Families
FOCUS ON THE FAMILY PODCASTS FOR PARENTS: